Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I'll go bravin' anything Through the shine of the sun

I am on the fence about the Cow Harbor 10 Kilometer footrace in two weeks. I want to compete very badly, but I also don't want to rush anything, and just keep building fitness and then start ripping it. Yet at the same time, it will be a great fitness test on a very brutal course and I can get the competitiveness rolling. We'll see after the early part of next week and how I am managing the workouts. So far, I haven't crushed any one workout, but things have been really solid and there is a process to it which is very important to the whole training cycle and how I handle it. Days have not been piled on top of each other which may have been part of the problem with inconsistency in the past. I feel like I am really playing it smart and safe, but not too safe. I am hitting the sweet spot with the build-up, much like a golfer does on a 300+ yard drive - doing the optimal training for me which will get me to where I need to be at here in the next couple months.

Training:
Mon Aerobic high-end strength development, pm run - 18 mile day
Tues uptempo running of 8, pm run - 17 mile day
Wed am easy yet hard, hilly 65 min run in Hyland, pm 45-50 min + strides
Thursday hill development, pm run - 14-16 mile day
Fri am flat terrain hour run, pm hilly 5-6
Sat long run of 16-18 with some faster running
Sun 9-10 miles very easy + strides

I would also like to send out positive thoughts/energy to my Grandma Doris who is one of the most outstanding women I have ever met. She is spending the week at Methodist Hospital in Des Moines experiencing a tough surgery among other things. I really love my Grandma, and think of her everyday.

Also, positive thoughts/energy to my next door neighbors in Belmond growing up - the Pals family- as they are dealing with the tragic loss of their youngest daughter Brianne. My heart goes out to them.

Also, to the man Hassan Mead and his circumstances. Nicest guy you will ever meet. And fast. Very fast. Here is to a speedy recovery.

1 comment:

  1. Dude you will know when it is time, just let it come to you when it is ready!!

    ReplyDelete