Wednesday, July 28, 2010

sun up time now for you to run

HEY NICK PUNTO.....STOP EFFING SLIDING IN HEADFIRST TRYING TO BEAT OUT A THROW AT FIRST BASE. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU BEAT OUT A THROW DOING THAT? HOW MANY? THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT. FOR EFFS SAKE.

Today is the most perfect summer day. The temp is right at 80 or so with little humidity. There is a slight breeze. Contrast that with yesterday when it was as hot and humid here as anywhere in the country I would bet. There is a difference, however. In the TC we'll have a day or two or three like this where it seems utterly unbearable and the world is going to explode according to most people. But little do these peeps realize that it's pretty much like this on a daily basis most places along the eastern seaboard, therefore we have very little to be complaining about.

I for one, do not understand how an individual could appreciate winter more than summer here in Minnesota. Sure the skiiing is a big deal, but for effs sake I would much rather be sweating my booty off on a jog than struggling on ice and snow with a -30 windchill racking me. September and October are easily the best months for jogging especially in the forests around town when the leaves are changing. Quite uplifting and motivating for good training and racing.

Perhaps the most hot/humid I have ever been was in Maine during the 2003 Maine Distance Fest. Incidentally, this meet was one of my favs and I wish it still existed. The setting for this track at Bowdoin College is exactly like the small tracks used for the permit meetings over in Europe in that it is in the middle of densely packed coniferous forests with dirt trails all around. I was racing a 5000m and a storm had just rolled through about an hour or so prior to the gun. Well, the race turned into a death march as I am not that great running in the heat, especially not with major humidity added in. Even still, I will never forget those July meetings in the Great Northeast. Someone should get that thing rolling again. There were great performances over the years.

Anyway, with the cooler temps prevailing last evening and today, I have felt good and continue to have a lot of motivation to race well and represent the VECTOR like I should be doing. I can't stress how important it is for me personally to build up into training after a rest period rather than thrashing it out from the get-go. My good friend Lehm (and it appears now young Vega) can do this like nobody's business. But Old G just isn't made to do it that way. I have recently looked back at old training logs from the years and it is evident in the seasons I have had the most success there has been a gradual buildup, slowly increasing volume and intensity, while mixing in shorter (ie 5Ks) road races to test out the fitness. And then BOOM, it happens. Hopefully come mid->late October this will pay off and I will be meeting expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment